Wednesday, February 09, 2011

apps for caregivers / carers

When did caring become an “app”?

Caregiver Apps are emerging as invaluable caregiver tools” claims Apple’s iTunes.  Alzheimer’s Apps may improve the quality of life for those who have some form of dementia by featuring apps that calm, engage, and/or lift spirits.” 
                                           
Caring for someone with autism, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, mental illness, physical ailments, medications, pain, seizures, asthma, allergies, or just want to record the reminiscences of a loved one who may not be around that much longer? Five smartphone apps for caregivers “Given the growing popularity of smartphones among baby boomers it’s only natural they’ll be looking for apps to help, said Gregg Malkary, managing director of Spyglass Consulting Group, which specializes in health-care and information technology.” 
                                                    
While I can see this all as helpful to those fond of gadgets especially as they start their journey, I do wonder about the shock of discovering that caregiving is more often than not ‘hands on’. Interaction and companionship is irreplaceable.

Plus I have to wonder - increasingly when out with Patti I have to dodge her wheelchair around able bodied walkers oblivious to all around them hypnotized by their smartphones. If I was not caregiving with my ‘eyes’ and ‘hands’, they would crash right into Patti’s wheelchair.
                            
If you drop a smartphone in the snow fogetabout those caregiving apps but find a real caregiver / carer in the snow and likely they are just making a snow angel.

Of course I only own a garden variety cell phone so I really cannot say whether these apps would improve either my life or Patti’s. I suspect in the hands of the right person hand held technology may seem a godsend.

Maybe you have to be of a certain age but it’s all too reminiscent of the beginning to “2001 Space Odyssey” (1968) when apes first see the black monolith, except now hominds gather around holding lil’ black monoliths in their hands. ... Dawn of man to dawn of technology, when is the dawn of care?

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick Leer 

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, I don't think I would want to own a phone smarter than me and some of those Smart Phones with all their apps scare me to death! I'm the same with you; I have the most basic of cell phones (and I still am always asking hubby or son to show me how to put it on vibrate etc). Dawn of care should always be a priority, unfortunately, I honestly think we are putting too much emphasis on machines and technology and less on people and we are reducing the value of people. That scares me tons more than a smart phone.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive