Thursday, March 15, 2007
Patti’s RASCAL SCOOTER is a wonderful pace vehicle for my own exercise. With warming temps and the new daylight savings time we’ve been able to work close to 2 miles into each late afternoon.
Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
As long as I can find isolated enough roads or wide enough paths to accommodate the wide drifts of her MS visually impaired driving she’s not only fine but LOVES the freedom of scootering. Scootering also has a noticeable overall positive effect on Patti’s MS symptoms in general even though it is short term.
Racin' with the wind
And the feelin' that I'm under
When I walk on my own I loose the additional health benefits of a consistent faster pace. At top speeds of 5 mph she sets a brisk pace for me from ‘power walking’ to jogging to keep up with her.
Two weeks ago I underwent a Nuclear Cardiac Stress Test which I passed with flying colors. (even got a smiley face on the follow up note from my nurse practitioner <grin>)
Why the test? During my Cluster Headache episodes I take Imitrex more frequently than any published tested levels. Imitrex at far lower dosages has been known to induce heart attacks. I smoke and 22 years of stress as a spouse caregiver takes a toll.
I made it the distance on the ‘treadmill from hell’ and my heart glowed just fine with all the radioactive isotopes flowing through my blood. … At least I know I’m not the Tin Man, I saw that I had a heart.
Caregiving is exhausting but regular exercise can never be underestimated.
Time is unavailable to caregivers but it can be found creatively such as keeping up with a wild woman on an electric scooter for a couple miles. <grin>
- ► 2013 (65)
- ► 2012 (88)
- ► 2011 (106)
- ► 2010 (114)
- ► 2009 (93)
- ► 2008 (127)
- Caregiving: cognitive turning point
- Caregiving: the ONLY true sign of Spring
- Caregiving: ... from National MS Society
- Caregiving Metaphysics Religion/Faith
- Caregiving: a robin in the snow
- Caregiving: wheelchair accessible van
- Caregiving: Scooter-cize
- Caregiving: family outing
- Caregiving: MS Awareness Week (alternative 4)
- Caregiving: finally SNOW
- Caregiving: MS Awareness Week (alternative 3)
- Caregiving: MS Awareness Week (alternative 2)
- Caregiving: MS Awareness Week (alternative 1)
- Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Week
- Caregiving: 1,000th You Tube viewer
- Caregiving: anxiety slithers
- ▼ March (16)
- ► 2006 (153)
- ► 2005 (152)