Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Caregiving: "how much love we put ..."

     Back over the Memorial Day weekend, I was tempted to stop answering the telephone. Tragic news can explode into your life like shock waves. Two calls informed me friends had died. One was 5 years older than me and the other 5 years younger.

    As the time of grief and memories ebb, death leaves behind a mirror reflecting questions about our own life.

     While preparing a eulogy,  I found peace in these lines attributed to Mother Theresa:

“It is not how much we do,

but how much love we put in the doing.

It is not how much we give,

but how much love we put in the giving.”

    One theme I found in my reflections is that death should be motivating for the living because we can still choose how much love we put into the next moments in time.  

2 comments:

  1. amen to that, wise words, Patrick. Sorry for the loss of your friends. Always hard to lose good friends and to miss them and the friendships you had. Makes us appreciate how short really our lives are and how long eternity is and making sure we know where we will be spending it. My best to you all,

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so sorry about your friends:( hope the rest of the week goes better

    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive