Sunday, October 28, 2007

Caregiving: sharing the Sunday paper

Back in the 20th Century I remember sharing stories from the Sunday paper over late breakfast (or ‘brunch’ for those from upper crusty homes). Call me nostalgic but here goes.

It seems that sports dominate newspaper front pages when so many other stories SHOULD. If sports 'must' then here is a front page sports story that demonstrates what one athlete can accomplish when talent and skill are driven with a passion to care.

 

              Marathon Man     

“…Tim Borland of Los Gatos, Calif., is on a quest to run a full marathon of 26.2 miles each day for 63 consecutive days in 63 different communities nationwide.

… His goal is to raise awareness and money for research in support of the AT Children’s Project and its mission of trying to find a cure or life-improving therapies.

…“It is an endurance test not unlike what the kids go through day in and day out” …

… Appalachian Harley Davidson in Silver Spring Township hosted a charity “tailgate party” Saturday which saw Borland, Klein and other AT children cross the finish line in triumph. …”

 

     I myself have suffered for decades with Cluster Headaches, a particularly vicious cousin of Migraine headaches. I can so relate to trying everything and anything. This opinion piece by Judith Warner not only hit the spot but left me smiling over a topic I rarely smile about.

               The Migraine Diet

“…I stopped drinking caffeine and alcohol and stopped eating chocolate, cheese, M.S.G., nuts, vinegar, citrus fruits, bananas, raspberries, avocados, onions, fresh bagels and donuts, pizza, yogurt, sour cream, ice cream, aspartame and all aged, cured, fermented, marinated, smoked, tenderized or nitrate-preserved meats

…That’s the tradeoff: taking daily drugs, or living a life that feels not quite worth living.

… In fact, I think that I’ll sanctify Halloween by eating every single forbidden food on the migraine diet, all in the space of a couple of hours. … Somehow, I doubt that I’ll end up in the emergency room.”  

 

You can click on the blue headlines for the full stories. Wishing you and yours the best of possible Sundays!

 

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick Leer

http://www.youtube.com/daddyleer

http://www.myspace.com/patrickleer

3 comments:

  1. I read both of these articles... thanks for sharing them. I had never heard of AT before... so many illnesses and conditions that can attack a human and make their lives intolerable if it weren't for their families, friends, the medical personnel (physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and all support staff), and caring people (like Tim here). I get migraines too, and I tried eliminating foods that trigger them. Like you and Judith discovered, even that doesn't prevent them completely. For me it's keeping enough water in my body.... dehydration is the worst trigger for me. I'm drinking two 16 oz. bottles of water before I start school each morning. I pretty much can eliminate most of my headaches just by drinking enough water every day. If I feel thirsty, I have waited too long. Not enough caffeine will also trigger one... but too much caffeine will keep we wired and prevent sleep. I used to get them when we ate Chinese food (msg), but now they don't use msg in their foods (at this one restaurant I go to), and I can eat it without getting a headache!!! Yeay.. small victories.  Different foods that affect people differently. There's a balance. We just have to find out what works for us. bea

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))Just wanted to stop by and say,Trick or Treat.

    http://journals.aol.com/hugsdoodlewacky/Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. ............I am fortunate in the number of headaches I don't have......and those I do have are attributed to stress!  Those who suffer regularily from the painful headaches are to be pittied and given a quiet place to recover!  I can also send a kitten to cuddle which is good therapy.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive