Tuesday, April 19, 2011

heart with a touch of madness

Picking Patti up Monday for a movie outing I found myself smiling as staff tried to guess what we were going to see. Hop? Rio? Arthur? – ‘Scream 4’ was just not on their radar.

Smiles became laughter as Patti and I driving to the theatre got to talking about slasher flicks as a litmus test for caregivers. Look for someone who has seen all the Friday the 13th movies, all the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, all the Halloween movies, and all the Scream movies. Beware those sensitive "chick flick" types. J

Yes, with Multiple Sclerosis progression movie going adaptation has been necessary, through MS 'symptom D' glasses, and while I could go on my own – frankly its about continuing to share in spite of obstacles.  

Hey, who cannot appreciate a good scream?
And what goes with screams better than cheers? Without taking anything away from those who could and did run in the Boston Marathon …

… isn’t pushing a marathon at age 70 hardest of all?
“Over the past 33 years, Dick Hoyt has pushed, pulled and carried his disabled son, Rick, through 28 Boston Marathons. But as time bears down on them, how much longer can they keep it up?” The Wheels Of Life

Heart with a touch of madness - now that’s the litmus test for caregiving!
Caregivingly Yours, Patrick Leer 
web site: caregivinglyyours.com  

4 comments:

  1. While I have to admire what Mr. Hoyt has done over the years with his son, I think one also has to be realistic and look at the situation from year to year. If it is becoming such a physically debilitating thing for him to continue to participate in the marathon, I think one has to consider their overall health for all involved in their family and readjust what has been so faithfully done with love for so many years. Perhaps it is time to call it a day or delegate younger family members and friends to participate in the marathon. It must be so hard though to see age hindering something like this.

    As for you and Patti, what a great movie selection!! Who can't enjoy a movie like that?? I think you too, realistically speaking, will know when and if you get to that point where your body can no longer sustain the demands put upon it as a caregiver and knowing you, you will do what you can to continue in that role with what you have to work with.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the phrase "continuing to share in spite of obstacles". That is a true marriage

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm such a movie scaredy cat that I never see horror films. Even simple suspense makes me cover my eyes and peek out. Once we took our son to a slightly suspenseful movie, and I held his hand so tight he nearly screamed. He didn't buy the excuse that I was just keeping him from being afraid!
    Glad you had fun.
    Peace,
    Muff

    ReplyDelete
  4. No scary movies for me... I actually watched "Rio" and thought it was funny.

    This is a heartfelt post.

    Doris

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive