Monday, April 04, 2005

Omens and talismans

This morning a large red tail hawk sat on a guard rail watching me approach while driving an isolated stretch of back road,. (I sensed as if it was waiting). I slowed to a stop, rolled down my window and we just stared at each other only feet apart. It was eerie but also felt transcendental. It certainly was unusual.

 

Driving away I watched ‘Apollo’s messenger’ through my rear view mirror turn its head to follow my departure then launch itself skyward. 

 

Omens and talismans are mythology and folklore; at least that is what the rational side of my brain says.

2 comments:

  1. It certainly was unusual and appears it was there for you.
    In the book Animal-Speak by Ted Andrews he writes extensively about the hawk specifically the Red-Tailed which is most prevalent in the US. On page 152 he states:
    "Hawks are one of the most intriguing  and mystical of the birds of prey. They are the messengers, The protectors,(caregivers??...my note) and the visionaries of the air."

    Under a photo of this majestic fellow he further writes:
    "This powerful bird can awaken visionary power and lead you to your life purpose. It is the messenger bird and wherever it shows up,pay attention. There is a message coming."

    Whether or not you believe "this stuff" it was a great experience and certainly must have been uplifting.
    If you have a Borders or Barnes and Noble nearby you might want to browse through this book. I had a similar experience with a raven when I went to Alaska last year and I still recall it with awe.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a red tail hawk that sometimes flies just above my car down a stretch of road near my house ... and I, too, have wondered if it is a "sign" ... I do know this.  Everything works together.  We are all connected.  We are like millions and millions of ripples in a very large pool, crossing over and under ... intersecting each other and nature everyday.  

    It doesn't seem too far a stretch to imagine Jesus talking to the multitudes, seeing a red bird in a nearby tree and being reminded by the Father to be sure to say that part ...

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts.  

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive