Thursday, December 28, 2006

Christmas 'road trip' - Dec 24

Simply getting Patti up, showered, dressed  and checked out is a bit like trying to work on fly paper, but as long as I allow at least double the time it can be done.

 

There were only two quests for this morning before leaving town. A pilgrimage to the Rocky statue and a Philly Cheese Steak Sub for lunch.

 

For Christmas Eve morning it was another beautiful Spring day, and traffic and crowds were light. For a lot of reasons the statue was at the base of the steps of the Museum of Art which was “ideal” for scooter access. After these three days I FELT like a triumphant Rocky and couldn’t resist flaunting the pose in the picture.

 

Again the gods tried to interfer on the very last extension of our wheelchair ramp on this trip as we prepared to leave the Museum of Art. Megan and I manipulated the ramp closed manually. (When I purchased the van I had opted for this specific model ramp because it could be easily manipulated manually just in case the gods interfered.)

 

We found a deli two blocks away and savored our Philly Cheese Steaks Subs right in the van. Patti surprised me handling the sub with no problem with either her hand spasticity or dysphagia. (maybe I should feed her in the van more often? <grin>)

 

“… if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.”            Rocky Balboa

5 comments:

  1. Good ole Rocky!  He is a blast from my past! Philly Cheese Steak sub sounds good about right now! Looks like you guys had fun!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great time Patrick. Happy New year. Bam
    http://journals.aol.com/reconcilinglife/reconciling-life/

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad you got out and had fun philly cheese steak subs sound yummy:)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean that isn't the real Rocky Balboa standing at the foot of the statue? Could've fooled me. <grin> bea

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look better than Rocky.  Great picture, great entry, Patrick.
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive