Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Caregiving: Time warping on Tuesdays

“It's astounding, time is fleeting

Madness takes its toll

But listen closely …”

 

Patti was playing cards (rummy) Tuesday evening in her care facility activity room when I went to pick her up. ‘Assisted’ card playing when people are visually and/or cognitively impaired involves staff or volunteers helping players that want help.

 

I offered to take over helping Patti finish the hand before heading out for ice cream. I must confess I also thought I should be able to ‘rule’ since the other players were ‘challenged’. Boy was I wrong, as I got my butt kicked. <grin> Which also amused Patti to no end. I can only hope that memory loss will prevent anyone from remembering my rummy debacle. <grin>

 

“It's so dreamy, oh fantasy free me …”

 

One great advantage to a small town is a ‘local’ ice cream parlor. Rakestraw’s has been around for over a century and nothing lasts that long unless the product is GREAT. We picked up hand packed pints of pumpkin ice cream then headed home. A nice big dish of pumpkin ice cream is a perfect Fall treat to accompany some family TV watching, one of the Jaws sequels and then “House”.

 

“…With a bit of a mind flip

You're there in the time slip …”

 

After tucking Patti into bed at her care facility, I returned home to learn our daughter had discovered a video while surfing You Tube that some one had uploaded from an old obscure Bob Dylan movie, “Renaldo & Clara”. The footage had been shot during the Rolling Thunder Review Tours in the mid 70’s. I must admit I felt both COOL and somewhat OLD to see my name in the credits, though it seems like another lifetime.

              

And yes, it helped soothe the ego after being crushed by the elderly and visually and cognitively challenged in rummy. <grin>

 

“…Time meant nothing, never would again

Let's do the Time Warp again!”

“The Time Warp” by Richard O’Brien

 

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick Leer

http://www.youtube.com/daddyleer

http://www.myspace.com/patrickleer

6 comments:

  1. ((((((((((HUGSOYOU)))))))))))))))Happy Haloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Time Warp" is one of my favorites!!!

    I'll have to start reading the credits of some of those 'old' movies a little closer! <grin>

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the eternal "Rolling Thunder Revue" I swear Mr. Zimmerman has been on tour the better part of his "afterlife" (post-accident).  I remember "Renaldo" and of course anything Dylan.  "Johnny's in the basement mixin up the medicine..."  Now look there, your name is clear as day!  You SHOULD feel stroked!  And yes, it was another lifetime.  My best to Patti, enjoyed "Time Warp".  xoxo CATHY
    http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/    

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool... seeing your name in the credits like that, like you were a different person, in another world. In a way, you were. Was that the band you played in? bea

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive