Wednesday, July 23, 2008

caregiving: what is it like to live with Multiple Sclerosis?

Succinctness is important in caregiving journaling. Time is precious for readers.

 

I target no more than a minute or two of a reader’s time with a word count cap of 350 words.

 

“International average reading speed is accepted to be about 250 words per minute” Turbo Read Speed Reading

 

Bea, of AOL Journal, “Wanderer” (until a more suitable name presents itself) recently raised the bar pointing out how gifted writers can tell a story in only 6 words.

 

Did you know that in speaking English people average about 100-120 words per minute? Try timing and reading your entry out loud to yourself, is anyone still listening? <grin>

 

Over on YouTube the average video is 2 minutes. In this 21st Century as harried people turn to view information, this may ‘say’ more than words.

 

With all this said, I am going to make an about face exception and embed this following 8 minute YouTube video by Kristie Salerno Kent.

 

It is not only creative but an excellent attempt to demonstrate Multiple Sclerosis symptoms and what it is like to have MS.

 

Not the chronic progressive type like Patti, but there was a time that Patti too went through these more common remitting remissive symptoms of MS.

 

[Time Alert] Stick with it, after the first two and a half minutes she visits a mall and the video becomes genuinely extraordinary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oraM8IF2Gc

 

Caregivingly Yours, J Patrick Leer 

musings:  www.lairofcachalot.blogspot.com

website: www.CaregivinglyYours.com

videos: http://www.youtube.com/daddyleer

 

(also available in Blogger edition, Caregiver Blog: "Caregivingly Yours")

8 comments:

  1. that was impressive, Patrick!! like walking a "mile" in someone else's shoes, but the participants could just take off their "debilitating" symptoms and go on with life; those with MS can't. It was eye opening to me; I "know" in your head what MS is, but I don't "see" it as graphically as she had people "see" it; very effective aid to do so; thanks for sharing it!!

    (I have to admire you; 350 words or less?; takes me that long to set up what I'm going to write about; I'm verbose both in word and prose)

    enjoy tomorrow; whatever it holds for you and yours :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was an impressive way of teaching others what it is like having MS. Great video. Thanks for sharing it with us. That young lady is a natural teacher. I understand. bea

    ReplyDelete
  3.  I really enjoyed the video.  What a great way to get how it feels across.

                 Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great video.    Hubby (MSer) had me pass link to friends and family because that is such a great demonstration of MS!  He has tried for years to tell them what the symptoms feel like and that video says it perfectly.  Thanks for sharing!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. ((((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))Thank you for sharing the video with me.Have a nice night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW WOW WOW.  Thank yo so much for sharing that video.  Quite impressive.  I agree with Kristie......I to hope she can come back in a few years with a video that says.....MS Cure.
    Hugs to you my friend,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW WOW WOW.  Thank yo so much for sharing that video.  Quite impressive.  I agree with Kristie......I TOO hope she can come back in a few years with a video that says.....MS Cure.
    Hugs to you my friend,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive