Monday, January 18, 2010

just another Saturday night

"It's seven o'clock and I want to rock
Want to get a belly full of beer"
ELTON JOHN

How about a belly full of ibuprofen before heading out to pick up Patti from her care facility for a Saturday night outing?

My back was still screaming from Friday night’s outing as I had needed to not only get Patti up and out of bed and transferred to her wheelchair but also dressed and changed. Progression of Patti's Multiple Sclerosis symptoms (EDSS > 8) prevent her from helping.

“Hey now, Saturday night is the loneliest night of the week
And I sing the song that I sang for the mem'ries I usually seek”
FRANK SINATRA 

Patti: “Thank God! - I am so glad to see your face!”

With that greeting, how can I complain?

“We're going out tonight, out and about tonight.
Oh, whatever makes her happy on a Saturday night"
SUEDE

Patti’s first request was a cigarette then shopping for toiletries. Care facility provided toiletries lack any personalized scents, flavor of toothpaste, etc.

Then on to cinimamon sugar pretzel sticks and a Hershey Dark Chocolate milk shake. After that Patti and/or MS fatigue was ready for bed.

"Gonna rock it up, roll it up
Do it all, have a ball"
BAY CITY ROLLERS

After transferring and tucking Patti into bed, I pulled myself into my van seat and took my back home for hot batherapy.

Soaking in the tub I daydreamed of this picture of Moet and Mentholatum from The Wheel of Fortuna blog about caregiving and Multiple Sclerosis.

Not exactly a songwriter's Saturday night but then again songs never change while people's lives do.

"Leaving the town in a-keeping of the one who is sweeping
Up the ghost of Saturday night"
TOM WAITS

OMG am I becoming a Saturday night ghost whisperer? Say it ain't so!

Sir Elton, help me!

"Saturday night's alright for fighting
Get a little action in
'Cause Saturday night's the night I like
Saturday night's alright, alright, alright"

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick Leer

1 comment:

  1. do take care of yourself, Patrick; I know you know that and I know I've said it before, but do take care of yourself. need to figure out a different way perhaps for outings; bet a strong young aide is out of the possibility to assist you both

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive