Friday, October 08, 2010

stink bugs, to arms!

Spring and Fall afternoons and evenings are, or I should say were, our favorite time of year to enjoy our patio with optimum weather for living with Multiple Sclerosis.

Forget 'Invaders from Mars' or 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' there is an invasion of real aliens - stink bugs! If you have never seen one, they are about 2/3 inch (17 mm) of ugly.  

They cling to our patio door and window screens by the dozens and dozens and dozens, just waiting for any opportunity to enter the house and hang out for the winter. Able to either walk or fly they are formidable when determined.

Cooking on the grill, eating on the patio, or just rolling Patti out to enjoy the weather is WAR. These scoundrels think nothing of hitch hiking on a person in a wheelchair. Ever tried swatting bugs off a legally blind cognitively impaired person with short term memory loss? Let me tell you it takes a lot of explaining over and over again.

Originally I just captured them one by one with a tissue and flushed down the toilette until their numbers became overwhelming. Now happiness is a warm vacuum.  I suck those critters to hell in a vacuum bag! Have even taken the offensive vacuuming the outside of the house, yeah baby!

OK! I admit that trash talking bugs and doing my best Vincent Price psycho laugh while sucking them up in a vacuum may be a little over the top, but hey it’s their fault – they started it. Patti was laughing so hard she could not even smoke her 'ciggie'.

Excuse me I just felt something crawling on my back. … I’m back. After removing my shirt why should I not be surprised – it was a stink bug. Sentenced to execution by flushing. 

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick Leer 

6 comments:

  1. very clever the way you thought to get rid of them Patrick!! what a nightmare though to have to deal with....

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. you battle stink bugs
    cackling as you swing your sword
    gleeful as you slay

    Judy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you hear me laughing all the way to PA?
    My sister Peg in WI gets ladybugs and she and her husband Tom get out the vacumn also.
    Always thought it was weird, guess there is two of you that are weird. Hang in there any maybe you will vacumn them all up for the rest of the season.
    Patricia
    Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please stop over to my blog and pick up your award.
    Peace,
    Muff

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hate stink bugs , although they are harmless but they are destructive to our crops.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive