Thursday, June 16, 2011

Jubilee Day 2011 dancin’ in the rain

It was a perfect morning 66°F (18.9°C) for an outing to Jubilee Day with summer heat sensitive Multiple Sclerosis.

Then it got challenging - arriving where we’ve always parked at Simpson Library, I was surprised to find wheelchair van designated and handicapped spaces occupied or obstructed by both a Cumberland County Library System vehicle and a contractor, Weaver’s Glass. There was a wide open curb adjacent to the entrance which neither able bodied driver “chose” to use.

While Patti enjoyed a ciggie, I “shared” my feelings with drivers.  

Then, back to fun – rolling the streets an hour before Jubilee Day ‘officially’ opens makes a big difference when your view is from a wheelchair - a forest of buttocks is no one’s idea of fun. Everything is ‘actually’ open anyway.

Plus there are no lines at yummy treats like pumpkin funnel cake. Patti’s parents (in right of picture) even joined us this magnificent morning.

Then the best laid plans of mice and men went astray as .8 inch (2.03 cm) of rain steadily fell over the next hour. No rain was forecasted so I had removed our rain gear from Patti’s wheelchair backpack to make room for shopping. J

While Patti and her parents enjoyed the sounds of Jazz Me under a tent, I walked back to our van. Now I have never met a puddle I don’t like. Give me an umbrella and well soon those splashes take on rhythm – “doo-dloo-doo-doo-doo-doo... I'm singin' and dancin' in the rain!”

Sheathing my umbrella and quelling my dancing feet I rain-proofed Patti in poncho and Buggy Bag® lap blanket, donned my own poncho and my happy feat pushed our rain proof selves onward.
To cap off our annual Jubilee Day outing we discovered our wheelchair van is also a perfect all-weather picnic gazebo for two, enjoying a lunch of pulled pork sandwiches with a medley of tempura vegetables (onion rings, mushrooms, zucchini, and cauliflower with ranch and horseradish dip).

Veni, vedi, vici and a doo-dloo-doo-doo …
Caregivingly Yours, Patrick Leer 
web site: caregivinglyyours.com  

1 comment:

  1. always prepared and ready you are to go, Patrick! I bet you enjoyed those puddles as you made the jaunt back to the van to get the rain gear!! sounds like a perfect outing, even with the rain!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive