Tuesday, March 26, 2013

living with MS as a family / our best of possible worlds

Depending on the spouse caregiver, yes even living with Multiple Sclerosis as a family can be envied…if only for a moment in time.

by Patrick Leer / MultipleSclerosis.net

“Pushing Patti’s wheelchair through the last 20 years I’ve slalomed through sidewalks of people at MS walks.”

But once upon a time “we were the envy of an entire pre-school haunted hay ride. Earlier that day I had hernia surgery from lifting Patti’s scooter in and out of our station wagon. After interviewing a couple of surgeons, I found a retired military guy who had done years of battlefield sutures in Vietnam designed to “hold” and get a soldier on his feet. Arriving on site that evening we discovered the hay wagon was not accessible. I couldn’t allow our daughter to be heartbroken, so hoisting her on my shoulders I pushed and pulled Patti’s wheelchair through the fields behind the hay wagon. Surprised actors began improvising interacting with us. My blood began oozing around my battlefield sutures and through my shirt, as our daughter’s classmates squealed with delight from the hay wagon.”  read the full story ... OUR BEST OF POSSIBLE WORLDS

Thank you to MultipleSclerosis.net for inviting me to share my ‘longer’ stories of living with MS as a family.

Patrick Leer
Health Activist:
Caregivingly Yours, MS Caregiver @ http://caregivinglyyours.blogspot.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive