Wednesday, May 15, 2013

vegetarian chili, carnivores, and cannibals


With almost a quarter century of living as a family centered on caring we find things to celebrate. Today was my first day of radiation therapy for my Stage 4 lung cancer metastasis to the brain.

Safely residing in her care facility with Multiple Sclerosis dementia erasing Patti’s awareness of my health issues we decided to have a family dinner at home. Our daughter is a vegetarian but has been craving a chili dog, with my newly radiated brain I offered to create a vegetarian chili dog.

Megan retrieved Patti while I did the cooking. Using a South Beach Diet Vegetarian chili recipe I made the chili from scratch which also gave me an excuse to test that my fine motor skills, memory, and such were still functioning.

Using Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Grillers Recipe Crumbles for the ground beef alternative and Morning Star Farms Veggie Dogs for the hot dogs … abracadabra you have a chili dog with a whole lot less fat that could fool any carnivore.

The laughs are because we were watching a NBC TV Show “Hannibal” which raised the bigger question ‘OK so I can fool a carnivore but could I fool a cannibal?’

Patrick Leer
Health Activist:
Caregivingly Yours, MS Caregiver @ http://caregivinglyyours.blogspot.com/


8 comments:

  1. Hmmm so fake chili on a fake hot dog... interesting but glad you are cherishing the family time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trish! Spoken like a true carnivore! :) and frankly my point of view also. Our daugther has been such a godsend through my recent health problems I wanted to say thanks and have as you say the family time.

      Delete
    2. Maybe it is my own brain malfunctioning but am I to understand that your cancer has progressed, and this is a new round of treatments? I read your link and still (brain malfunctioning on my part) could not understand this. Anyway, my heart sank. I hope this treatment works.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for asking Judy but yes my last 16 months as Stage 1 lung cancer is now Stage 4 lung cancer with brain metastasis ... Radiation theraphy first then chemo the fight is NOT over.

      Delete
  2. Patrick, you continue to be a source of inspiration for me. Despite your own serious health issues, you still take time to care for others. You are in my prayers.
    Peace,
    Muff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Muff! But didn't John Steinbeck teach us in Grapes Of Wrath "I hate catching spiders. Still,a man's got to do what a man's got to do." :)

      Delete
  3. You are in my prayers Patrick! We are about to embark on our own journey with lung cancer! Hope we are as brave as you have been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. from what I have read and know about you all - bravery will not be a concern. Likewise my thoughts and prayers are with you ALL,

      Delete

Blog Archive