Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Towering paper

Just measured paperwork and at 5.25” I’m stopping for the day. I’m guestimating that’s about 3/4 of what is required to file for Medicaid.

 

Remaining is primarily computer generated financial reports, average expenses, etc.  I cannot even imagine what people who are not empowered with home computers or obsessive organizational skills must face.

 

Had to run by care facility to pick up an invoice of physical therapy bills. A perfect example of well intended services that can get out of control if not monitored. Currently our bill stands at $3,000 and I stopped it over a month ago.

 

No one in the system clearly grasped MS and/or what medical insurance considers acceptable treatment for chronic progressive MS. Unlike home care and private physicians there are not the checks and balances of communication in institutionalized care. After all they are not financially responsible so why not? Any potential reimbursement by medical insurance is currently “to be determined”.

 

An institution sees money quite differently than a family.

 

Arrived to find two staff members working to clean up Patti who had an accident in bed while napping. Clothing, linen, even floor needed mopping. That is one function of home care I DO NOT miss! Frankly they were also a lot nicer about it than I would have been. There are also many PLUSES to a care facility. "Care" is the major one.

1 comment:

  1. I have been reading your journal for some time now, so I thought I would say hello. I have MS, and wonder what my husband will do with me if I should get real bad. I shared your journal with him, and it helped us to talk about the future. Thankyou

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive